In recent years, the Government of India has made it mandatory to link your Permanent Account Number (PAN) with your Aadhaar card. This move aims to streamline the tax system and ensure transparency in financial transactions. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about the Pan Aadhaar link.
What is PAN?
PAN, or Permanent Account Number, is a ten-digit alphanumeric code issued by the Income Tax Department of India. It is used to track financial transactions and is mandatory for filing income tax returns.
What is Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). It serves as proof of identity and address and is mandatory for availing of several government schemes.
Why Link PAN with Aadhaar?
Linking PAN with Aadhaar is mandatory for Indian citizens as it helps to weed out fake PAN cards and curbs tax evasion. Moreover, it simplifies the tax filing process as it eliminates the need to provide physical copies of PAN and Aadhaar cards.
How to Link PAN with Aadhaar?
There are two ways to link PAN with Aadhaar: online and offline.
- Visit the income tax e-filing website – https://www.incometax.gov.in/.
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” option under the “Quick Links” section.
- Enter your PAN, Aadhaar number, and name as per Aadhaar.
- Tick the checkbox to confirm that you have only the year of birth in Aadhaar card, in case the date of birth is not mentioned in Aadhaar card.
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” button.
- Your PAN will be linked with Aadhaar if the details provided match the details on your Aadhaar card.
- Download the PAN-Aadhaar linkage form from the income tax department website.
- Fill in the required details such as name, address, PAN, and Aadhaar number.
- Attach a self-attested copy of your PAN and Aadhaar cards.
- Submit the form to the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL center.
- Your PAN will be linked with Aadhaar after verification of the documents.
Consequences of Not Linking PAN with Aadhaar
Failing to link your PAN with Aadhaar can lead to consequences such as a penalty of up to Rs. 1,000 and the invalidation of your PAN card. Moreover, it can lead to the rejection of your income tax return.
Linking PAN with Aadhaar is a mandatory requirement for Indian citizens. It helps to ensure transparency in financial transactions and simplifies the tax filing process. You can link your PAN with Aadhaar online or offline, but failing to do so can lead to consequences such as a penalty and invalidation of your PAN card.
Is it mandatory to link PAN with Aadhaar?
Yes, it is mandatory for Indian citizens to link their PAN with Aadhaar.
Can I link PAN with Aadhaar without visiting the NSDL or UTIITSL center?
Yes, you can link your PAN with Aadhaar online by visiting the income tax e-filing website.
What is the penalty for not linking PAN with Aadhaar?
The penalty for not linking PAN with Aadhaar is up to Rs. 1,000.
Last date to link pan with Aadhaar?
The last date to link PAN with Aadhaar has been extended multiple times, and the current deadline is March 31, 2023.
Can I link more than one PAN with Aadhaar?
No, you can only link one PAN with Aadhaar.
What happens if my PAN is linked with someone else’s Aadhaar?
It is advisable to check the linked Aadhaar status to avoid any discrepancies. If your PAN is linked
You might also like it!